Photo Credit: J.W. Hamner
Maybe you’re like me and dream of giant wheels of cheese aging in a specially cooled room alongside links of fermented salumis, hanging country hams and jars of lactofermented vegetables because you want to do it all! Perhaps you want to learn to culture dairy for health reasons or self-sufficiency. Maybe it just sounds fun. Whatever your reason, learning to culture your own yogurt, kefir, soft cheese and hard cheese can seem like a task that’s not for the faint of heart, after all there’s the special equipment, the special ingredients, precise measurements and careful techniques.
Making your own cultured dairy is worthwhile for several reasons:
- To ensure that all the dairy you consume is made with the best quality dairy you can afford/get.
- To retain enzymes, vitamins and good bacteria in the dairy that are lost in their commercial counterparts due to the high processing heats which translates to a healthy gut and better functioning digestion and immune system.
- To be able to consume quality dairy devoid of additives, preservatives and synthetic ingredients.
- To use up all of that lovely milk from your dairy cow or goats!
But take heart! You don’t need to go it alone. Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS has put together an amazing 119 page, 18 – Lesson Cultured Dairy and Basic Cheese eBook.
This eBook includes:
- Simple, well-articulated lessons that are easy to follow
- Complete ingredient and equipment lists for each lesson
- Color photos
- Tips on where and what equipment to purchase
- Suggested schedules
- Tasty recipe suggestions to use your creations in
- Troubleshooting tips
The Cultured Dairy eBook Covers these topics:
- About Cultured Dairy and Cheesemaking
- Sour Cream and Whole Milk Buttermilk
- Cultured Butter and Buttermilk
- Traditional Yogurt
- Clabbered Milk and Cheese
- Just-Like-The-Store Yogurt*
- Beyond Kefir: Kefir, Kefir Cream, Kefir Ice Cream, Kefir Cheese, and Kefir Cheese Balls
- Ricotta* and Soft Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Middle Eastern Fresh Cheese
- Queso Fresco Cheese
- Fresh Cheddar Cheese
- Traditional Mozarella Cheese*
- Propagating Mother Cultures
- Bonus! Waxing Cheese
- Bonus! Cultured, Flavored Cream Cheese
- Bonus! Molding Soft Cheese
- Appendix 1: Dairy Kefir (from Fundamentals eCourse)
- Appendix 2: Soft Cheese (from Fundamentals eCourse)
Perhaps you want a little more assistance in your cheesemaking endeavors. In that case, you may want to do the Cultured Dairy and Basic Cheese eCourse (this is a different product than the eBook, but covers the same topics above and comes with more amenities) which comes complete with videos that show step-by-step how to make everything from creamy yogurt, to cultured butter, to fresh cheddar. Plus, you will have access to the private forum where you can ask any questions and get help quickly, not to mention mingle with some awfully nice folk. 😉 And when you become a GNOWFGLINS eCourse member, you not only get access to the eCourse you originally were interested in, but you gain access to ALL of the eCourses. That is something to smile about.
I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the Cultured Dairy and Basic Cheese eBook. I have been making my own cultured dairy for some time now and had to learn with many mistakes, research and time consuming Googling. I wish Wardeh had this eBook out when I began. The copious notes and detailed step-by-step along with the science behind it all wrapped up in one perfect package was exactly what I had needed.
Here’s your chance to win a free copy of the Cultured Dairy and Basic Cheese eBook!
1. Use the easy to use Rafflecopter widget below. There is only one mandatory entry which is to subscribe to Eat Nourishing via email. Then you won’t miss any recipes! There are even two options, a daily email or a weekly digest. If you’re already signed up, click the button anyway to get your entry. Be sure to enter the email address you’re subscribed with in the “Extra Info” box, so I can verify your entry.
You can unsubscribe at any time, but you need to be subscribed in order to be eligible for this prize and any future prizes.
2. Recommended: Do any other optional things for extra entries! Be sure to leave extra info for verification purposes where applicable.